The competitive water market opened in England on 1 April 2017. The Panel is the senior industry group that oversees the operation and evolution of the water market.
Licensed water wholesalers and retailers can influence how the market evolves in the future via the Code Panel.
The introduction of competition in water and wastewater retail services aims to increase efficiency, drive down prices and improve customer service.
The Panel supports these goals by providing independent strategic governance of the market. It keeps the market codes under review, making sure that they are operating effectively and that they evolve in a way that:
· Improves the efficiency and effectiveness of the market
· Promotes competition
· Benefits end customers
· Makes regulatory intervention a last resort
The Panel is made up of elected members from wholesale and retail water companies, plus three independent (non-water industry) members appointed by MOSL.
Members are obliged to be impartial and act in the best interests of the market and all participants. They are not there to represent the interests of a particular person or organisation.
In addition to members of the Panel, a number of other people may attend and speak at the meetings, including the CEO of MOSL, the Consumer Council for Water (CC Water), Ofwat and the Water Industry Commission for Scotland.
- Jim Keohane - Chair of the Panel (MOSL)
- Adam Richardson - Panel Secretary (MOSL)
- Mike Brindle - Associated Retailer Panel Member (Water Plus)
- Christopher Williams – Associated Panel Member (Water Plus)
- Trevor Nelson - Unassociated Retailer Panel Member (Business Stream)
- Nicola Smith - Unassociated Retailer Panel Member (Clear Business Water)
- Claire Yates – Unassociated Panel Member (Waterscan)
- Mark Holloway - Wholesaler Panel Member (Thames Water)
- Martin Mavin – Wholesaler Panel Member (Northumbrian Water)
- Ian Dearnley - Wholesaler Panel Member (Severn Trent Water)
- Helyn Mensah - Independent Panel Member (Independent Consultant)
- Nigel Sisman - Independent Panel Member (Independent Consultant)
- Elsa Wye - Independent Panel Member (Independent Consultant)
- Christina Blackwell – Affiliated Panel Member (CCWater)
- Dan Mason – Affiliated Panel Member (Ofwat)
There is an affiliated seat for each representative from MOSL, Ofwat and CCWater, who may not vote on Panel decisions.
Supported by MOSL, the Panel’s primary functions are to:
· Oversee code changes and make recommendations to Ofwat on any changes that may be required
· Review and provide advice on market audit reports, market performance, market entry assurance and reassurance and trading disputes
· Consider and input into the market operator’s budget and charges.
The Panel has separate committees to deal with trading disputes, market performance and market incident management planning. All activity by the Panel and its committees is reported to Ofwat.
Prior to the Panel being formed, the Interim Codes Panel (ICP) performed in a capacity similar to the Panel.
For more information, download the Panel Terms of Reference. Please note this is a working draft, and will be kept under review by the Panel.
The Panel meets on a monthly basis. Dates, agendas, minutes and papers are available in the table below.
The Panel Plan sets out the Panel’s strategic priorities for 2018/19 and beyond. It identifies three key areas of focus and a number of work streams which will deliver against these three areas. These three key areas are:
- Promote effective competition;
- Reduce friction in the market and enable the market to operate efficiently; and
- Embed good working practice and efficiency in market code governance.
Progress against these strategic priorities will be reviewed by the Panel every six months, with the first review taking place in January 2019.
If you have any comments on the contents of Panel Plan, including on whether the priority areas and work streams are right, please contact email@example.com.
If you would like to contact the Panel or Panel Secretary, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Meeting 50||15 December 2020|
|Meeting 49||24 November 2020|
|Meeting 48a||23 November 2020|
|Meeting 48||27 October 2020|
|Meeting 47||29 September 2020|
|Meeting 46||25 August 2020|
|Meeting 45||21 July 2020|
|Meeting 44||30 June 2020|
|Meeting 43||26 May 2020|
|Meeting 42||28 April 2020|
|Meeting 41a||27 April 2020|
|Meeting 41||31 March 2020|
|Meeting 40||25 February 2020|
|Meeting 39||28 January 2020|
|Meeting 38||10 December 2019|
|Meeting 37||26 November 2019|
|Meeting 36||29 October 2019|
|Meeting 35||24 September 2019|
|Meeting 34||27 August 2019|
|Meeting 33||23 July 2019|
|Meeting 32||25 June 2019||Download||Download|
|Meeting 31||28 May 2019||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 30||30 April 2019||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 29||26 March 2019||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 28||26 February 2019||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 27||29 January 2019||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 26a||16 January 2019||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 26||18 December 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 25||27 November 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 24||30 October 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 23||25 September 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 22||28 August 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 21a||17 August 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 21||24 July 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 20a||16 July 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 20||26 June 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 19||29 May 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 18||24 April 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 17||27 March 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 16||27 February 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 15||30 January 2018||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 14||12 December 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 13a||11 December 2017|
|Meeting 13||28 November 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 12a||21 November 2017||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 12||31 October 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 11||26 September 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 10||7 September 2017||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 09||23 August 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 08||25 July 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 07a||10 July 2017||Download|
|Meeting 07||27 June 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 06||30 May 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 05||4 May 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 04||12 April 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 03||28 March 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 02||15 March 2017||Download||Download||Download||Download|
|Meeting 01||28 February 2017||Download|