MOSL publishes the responses to its Annual Trading Party Survey
At the beginning of March 2021, MOSL issued its Annual Trading Party Survey to understand how members rate our performance against our services as part of our Market Services Framework. This survey supports MOSL in building a view of trading parties’ experience in interacting with us through our various services and supports how we measure and report against them.
As part of our 2020/21 Business Plan we committed to review, update and publish MOSL’s services definitions to provide greater clarity on what our services are and their associated Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and, where appropriate, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). These have been developed based on the existing set of services and revised to better reflect the role we play in the market and the services we provide to our members.
We currently track our KPIs and publish our performance against them through our Quarterly Reports. We will use the responses to this survey to baseline our performance moving forward and look to include the high-level results in our Annual Report and Financial Statements, due to be published at the beginning of June.
We would like to thank those trading parties who responded to this survey. In total we received in 42 per cent response rate from trading parties, an increase of five per cent from last year. Overall, respondents rated MOSL's performance as market operator an average score of 3.8 (on a 1-5 scale from ‘very dissatisfied’ to ‘very satisfied’) based on combined responses from wholesalers, associated and unassociated retailers and NAVs.
Common themes which emerged through the survey, based on the four services areas, include:
Service area - Market Operations
- Overall, respondents rated the Market Operations service area an average score of 3.2
- However, trading parties noted that CMOS can be difficult to master and the associated instructions are not easy to understand
- Several respondents advised they had not used the Dispute Process and so couldn’t comment, however, feedback from trading parties who had used the process confirmed the new consolidated dispute management process was vastly improved
Service area - Market Assurance
- Overall, respondents rated the Market Assurance service area an average score of 3.2
- Respondents noted that although improvements have been made to market entry/exit, they are keen for MOSL to focus on continued development and cost to serve through greater digitisation and prioritisation of processes
- Improvements to performance and risk reporting are recommended to improve data quality and accountability. Improvements in this area would ensure timely reports, action tracking and trading party intervention
- Respondents support moving away from a ‘one size fits all’ approach as some metrics cannot be appropriately measured
Service area - Market Improvement
- Overall respondents rated the Market Improvement service area an average score of 3.3
- Respondents believe MOSL has an important role to play in enabling trading parties to leverage market data to improve efficiency in the market, making service improvements and innovations to deliver value to business customers
- Strategic market developments have been restricted due to COVID-19 but respondents noted the progress that has been made in the development of the Bilateral Transactions Programme and Strategic Metering Review
Service area - Governance and Support Services
- Overall respondents rated Governance and Support Services service area an average score of 3.4
- Respondents welcomed improvements to MOSL’s secretariat support
- Respondents believe improvements to MOSL delivery of Governance are needed through the simplification of code changes. Respondents would also welcome summaries of Panel and subgroup findings
- Some respondents were not aware of any training offered by MOSL in this service area
We will be issuing a mid-year ‘light touch’ survey in September to enable us to continue to assess, measure and improve the delivery of our services throughout the financial year.
If you have any questions regarding the survey or the response document, please contact email@example.com.